Watch this video to learn how to make high performance charcoal. This is just one of many things you'll need to know in order to get started in pyrotechnics—legally and safely.
You'll need an empty paint can and lid. If there is any paint or plastic inside, you'll have to burn it off using a torch. Wash the can to get rid of any ash. Drill a 1/4" hole in the lid.
Choose your wood according to the type of charcoal you want to make. Strip off any bark, and cut wood into small strips about an inch or two wide, and short enough to fit in your can. Hammer the lid on the can tightly.
Start a fire, and when it's hot enough, place your can in the fire with the handle sticking up. Leave the can in the fire until the flame coming out of the hole you drilled on top dies away. Take the can out of the fire and place a damp rag over the hole. Let the charcoal cool down to air temperature.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades