Learn to make sodium metal with this great video tutorial. Be sure to use latex gloves in the process, as the chemicals can be hazardous. This should not be performed by an inexperienced chemist.
1. Acquire a pot and lid for the experiment.
2. Place finely-ground magnesium powder into the pot.
3. Add a slightly larger volume of sodium hydroxide (lye) to the pot.
4. With a metal spoon, mix together the chemicals.
5. Pile the chemicals into a corner of the pot and insert a fuse with a 90 degree bend in it into the pile, so that the free end of the fuse is facing upwards.
6. In a separate vessel, melt paraffin wax.
7. Carefully light the fuse, quickly cover the pot with the lid and give a safe distance as smoke and flames will rise from the pot.
8. Once the smoke has died down, pour the wax onto the mixture to control the burning.
9. Once the flames have been extinguished, you can find small pieces of sodium metal in the ashes.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades